Do you know how easy it is to make pasta at home? Really easy! And since it’s autumn, I added some pumpkin flavor to the pasta. And a bit of turmeric, cause it is really healthy and to make the orange color pop a bit more. Once you’ve made your pasta, you can cook it right away, dry it, or freeze it for later. When you do cook it, remember that homemade pasta cooks much more quickly than the dried pasta you buy in stores. Give it about four minutes in salted boiling water, taste it, and keep checking in one-minute increments until the pasta is al dente.
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp. pumpkin powder
- 350 g semolina flour
- 150 g flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 tbsp. of water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Combine both types of flour, pumpkin powder, turmeric and salt and whisk together with a fork in a medium mixing bowl.
- Create a deep well in the middle of the flour and crack the eggs into this well. Whisk the eggs with the fork to combine.
- Add enough water to make the dough start to stick together but not too wet.
- Knead the dough. The dough is kneaded when it forms a smooth elastic ball.
- Cover the ball of dough with plastic wrap an let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Tear small pieces of dough off and roll it between your hands to form a “pasta worm”.
- Run it between the flat plates of your pasta machine starting with the smallest number (setting 0).
- Roll the pasta as thin as you like to go (i used setting 7 of my pasta machine).
- Switch from the pasta roller to the noodle cutter, and run the sheet of pasta through the cutter.
- Hang your pasta sheet a pasta rack.
- Hang pasta to dry or if you don’t have a rack toss the fresh strips with plenty of flour so it doesn’t stick together.